What is the process for reviewing UK Parliament constituencies?
The process that we follow is largely defined by the law but can be summarised as:
- we develop our Initial Proposals;
- we publish those proposals for 12 weeks of public consultation;
- we hold public hearings during the consultation period;
- we publish consultation responses online for public comment for a 4 week period;
- we consider all responses and comments received during the consultation period, and produce Revised Proposals as necessary;
- we publish any Revised Proposals for 8 weeks of public consultation;
- we consider any further responses made and amend our recommendations as necessary; and
- we submit our report to the Secretary of State for Scotland.
For our 2023 Review, we will follow a slightly different process: 8 week public consultation on our Initial Proposals; 6 week secondary consultation when we will hold our public hearings; and 4 week consultation on any Revised Proposals.